No, not that kind of quickie. I want you to take a few minutes to review your online dating profile. Here’s the best way to view it–go online and set your search criterion to look for women, if you’re female and male if you’re a guy. You’re not going to click on any profiles so no one will know you’re doing this.
You’re viewing your profile this way for 2 reasons. First of all while you’re looking for your profile you can observe the competition. Second-this allows you to see exactly what a potential date sees.
What are you looking for?
- How do the first few sentences read? Are they conveying the message you want people to see? Some sites, like Match, let you put in a headline. If the headline you chose is very long, it won’t all show on the preview of you. Does it make sense? Are you ok with what you see from this vantage point?
- Check your spelling. And, your grammar. Many people find spelling mistakes and poorly written profiles to be a turn-off. If you’re a bad speller, copy the text and put it in Word or what you use for documents and use spell check to fix mistakes you’ve missed.
- Read the profile. Is it up to date? Are you talking about winter sports when it’s 90 degrees outside? If you’ve used dates or talked about plans that are no longer relevant this is the time to change it.
- Check your match criteria. Does it still reflect what you want? Have you changed your mind about certain things? By broadening your search you will get more matches and a chance to find more potential dates. You can always say no gracefully.
- Look at your photos. Is your best and most recent shot the main photo? Any you need to get rid of? Want to add something new. Every time you add to your profile you are increasing your chances of being found.
You can do this pretty quickly, with a minimum of effort. Why not? Some sites rotate profiles based on newness and frequency of visiting, or so I’ve been told. Your goal is to remain in the public eye, so put your best shoes on!
Your job is to Shine.
I love a quickie now and then. It’s energizing and I walk away feeling good about myself. Try it. (More tips on how to spruce up your online dating profile)